The part of our bedroom where the bed lives is very narrow so we only have space for rather miniature bedside tables. We wanted to have matching lights for both sides of the bed but all the interesting lamps we came across would completely fill our little tables so we decided to find a way to hang the lights from the wall above the bed instead.
*Throughout this post I ask you to ignore our horrible silver bed frame and bedding – we’re working on it….*
Here’s the ‘before’ picture:
We were inspired by a recent trip to Sweden where we saw lots of lighting cords that had a plug on the end rather than needing wiring in. They were super expensive over there and obviously had the wrong kind of plug so we decided to find some when we got back. This proved much harder than we hoped until a trip to the Ideal Home Show at Christmas where we came across a stall selling the cords – complete with a plug and switch – and a selection of bulbs too. There were a few choices for the colour of the bit which you screw the bulb into (there is probably a name for that) so we went for ‘rose gold.’ We ‘haggled’ them down to £45 for two cords and two bulbs which was pretty good considering the bulbs alone are often around £12 each. We needed some brackets to hang the lights from so we took a trip to Ikea to pick up the Ekby Valter for £2 each.
It turns out our drill is intended more for use on things like wood and cotton wool than brick so this process took slightly longer than expected.
But we got there eventually!
Unfortunately now that we have nice lighting the awful bed is even more apparent – any ideas on how to hide this would be much appreciated?? As the property is rented we can’t just get rid of it but thinking of ways to possibly box it in…
Thanks for reading!
I’ve been putting off starting this blog because the idea of writing the all-important First Post is so intimidating that I’d convinced myself it would be the hardest part of ‘blogging’ by far. However, as this is in fact, my second attempt at a blog (the first lasting a whopping TWO posts in total) I think that excuse is a bit pants and I really just need to get on with it.
On the whole this blog will be a way to document a few exciting things that are happening in my life as I’ve finally decided on a career path as an Interiors/Prop Stylist and I’ve also just moved in with my boyfriend after six years together! Both of these things give me an excuse to find pretty things to put in houses which leads me smoothly on to….
THE TABLE I FOUND IN THE STREET!!!
I’ve always been so jealous when reading other people’s posts describing the amazing things they’ve rescued from skips and charity shops because all I ever seem to find on the street is discarded shoes. However, my time finally came and I stumbled across this coffee table, complete with delightful faux marble effect…..
After a quick spider extraction and – in true DIY style – a 3 week period of just ignoring it, my boyfriend and I finally stripped off the paint using some paint scrapers from the pound shop, a lot of elbow grease and the inventive use of my hairdryer…
We decided to leave the top wood and paint the legs a nice coral colour – Dulux Caribbean Dawn 2 – that I matched from our cushion covers (I might do a post about those later as I whipped them up out of some bargain Ikea fabric and they really brighten up the sofa). The colour of the legs is quite girlie but the rest of the living area is very black, white and grey and I worried it was verging on Batchelor Pad-esque so I think it helps to counteract that.
And here’s the final result!
Thanks for reading and I’d love to hear any feedback!